User Manual Addendum for PocketMoney Sync

PocketMoney for OS X, Linux, Windows.

User Manual Addendum for PocketMoney Sync

Postby HardyMacia » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:06 pm

I've created a video tutorial on how to use PocketMoney Sync from iOS to iOS and iOS to PocketMoney Desktop (PMD).
PocketMoney Sync Tutorial

For those of you that prefer written directions I'll document them here.

PocketMoney Sync iOS device to Desktop

Assuming that you are just getting started and you have data on your iPhone/iPad that you want to sync to PMD for the first time.

In PMD:
1. Create a new database in PMD - File > New
2. Start PM Sync - File > Start Sync Server. (PMD will always be the server since it doesn't have the code to be a client.)

In PM on iOS device:
1. Tap file transfer icon (arrow icon on the account balances screen)
2. Choose PM Sync
3. Set it to Client. (There is no need to buy the Server as an In-App-Purchase since PMD is acting as the server.)
4. Enter the IP Address of your desktop computer. (In PMD go to Preferences/Options, then the Synchronization tab, and the IP address is there)
5. Tap Sync.

That is all there is to it for your initial sync. When you Quit PM and launch it the next time it will reopen the last PM database file you were using.

Subsequent Syncs
In the Preferences/Options of PMD, I recommend you set the Sync Server to start up when you launch PMD, then all you need to do is run PMD and on your iOS device Choose PM Sync and tap Sync.

Restoring your data from PMD to iOS device
In the case that you lose your iOS device, or upgrade to a new device, or your spouse starts using PocketMoney on their phone. You should restore from PMD server.

1. Launch PMD. Start the server if it's not running.
2. On iOS Device tap file transfer icon (arrow icon on the account balances screen)
3. Choose PM Sync
4. Set it to the Client.
5. Enter the IP Address of your desktop computer. (In PMD go to Preferences/Options, then the Synchronization tab, and the IP address is there)
6. Turn ON "Restore from Server" - this will delete all your data from PM on your iOS device before downloading a clean copy from PMD.
7. Tap Sync.

PocketMoney Sync iOS to iOS device

This is much the same as iOS device to PMD. You will be picking one iOS device to be the server instead of PMD. Decide which device you want to be the server -- it really doesn't matter all that much, PM Sync is designed so you can sync any number of devices any which way, but the very first time you sync two devices together the server device should be the device with the most current PM data in it.

In PM on iOS device to be the server:
2. Choose PM Sync
3. Set it to Server. (You will need to buy the Sync Server as an In-App-Purchase since PMD is not acting as the server.)

In PM on iOS device to be the client:
2. Choose PM Sync
3. Set it to the Client.
4. Enter the IP Address of the iOS device acting as the server. (The IP address is displayed on the iOS device acting as server.)
5. Turn ON "Restore from Server" - this will delete all your data from PM on your iOS device before downloading a clean copy from the server device.
6. Tap Sync.

Subsequent Syncs
You can enter data on all of your devices. The only rule is that if you change the same transaction or account information on both devices, then the last device that was changed is going to be the data that wins out and will be synced.
1. On your iOS device to be the server tap file transfer icon (arrow icon on the account balances screen)
2. Choose PM Sync
3. Set it to Server. (You will need to buy the Sync Server as an In-App-Purchase since PMD is not acting as the server.)
4. On your iOS device to be the client tap file transfer icon (arrow icon on the account balances screen)
5. Choose PM Sync
6. Set it to Client.
7. Tap Sync.

Syncing over your cellular data network
Syncing over your cellular data network
Hardy Macia
Catamount Software •  support@catamount.com
Follow me on Twitter: @HardyMacia or @CatamountSW
HardyMacia
Site Admin

Re: User Manual Addendum for PocketMoney Sync

Postby jauhari » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:25 pm

Hi... Where is the setup to change IP Address? my network address is 192.168.1.x and you Applications is setup on 192.168.2.x :(
How to fix it? and use the Address same with my MacBook Network?

https://skitch.com/jauhari/r8c2c/ip-address-issues
I am collector of many Freebies Resource
jauhari

Postby romad » Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:25 am

jauhari wrote:Hi... Where is the setup to change IP Address? my network address is 192.168.1.x and you Applications is setup on 192.168.2.x :(
How to fix it? and use the Address same with my MacBook Network?

https://skitch.com/jauhari/r8c2c/ip-address-issues

Go to PMD>Preferences>Synchronization and use the IP address and Port number shown there. Enter it in the iPhone/iPad as shown in the video.
Dennis
User of Jefferson Bible, MPG, PMD, & PMiOS. Oh, and WeatherStick.
romad

Postby cutejecy » Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:38 am

I purchase the PocketMoney Sync for my full version and I click the PocketMoney Sync button located in the menu at bottom left. But it stock at the client conneciting process (Waiting for Clietn to connect.> it took forever) I try to use lite version to sync the server (by entering the ip it provided from full version) but it said that the connection is refused.

What can i do? I cannot open the tutorial vedio from my pc or iPhone.

HELP@__@
cutejecy

Postby romad » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:18 am

The tutorial should open in Safari on the iPhone. As for your computer, do you have QuickTime installed? Or some other software that will play QuickTime .mov files?
Dennis
romad

Postby Fallo » Mon May 23, 2011 6:15 pm

I have the new IOS PM version, so I try to sync into my PM desktop, and seems that everything is ok, but nothing was transfer, I download again the PMDesktop and erase the old one including the database and try to do a new sync and again nothing was transfer, so please tell me what to do.

MacBook unibody MACOS 10.6.7, iPd 2G IOS 4.2.1.

Thanks
Fallo

Postby snelson » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:10 pm

Just wondering if there was already, or if there are plans to be able to, run the sync portion of PMD as a system daemon. I would like to have it autostart with my system, but without the gui.

Thanks
snelson

Postby HenkK » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:20 am

I support the request for a sync daemon, that I can run on my server.
Syncing should require a password, before the activity starts.
HenkK

Postby Parazzoli » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:17 pm

Hello,

I just got my wife a computer for her birthday so now I need to sync her Desktop to my Desktop. Is it possible? Do I need another license?

Thank you.

Daniel.

PS - Here are the specs. for both computers:

My computer:
MacBook Pro (late 2011)
Processor: 2.4GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 16GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Her computer:
MacBook Pro 13" Retina (Late 2012)
Processor: 2.5GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Pocket Money Desktop version 2.0.5 (231)
Parazzoli

Postby romad » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:32 pm

You can't SYNC desktop to desktop, but you can move a copy of your database to her computer and open it up with PMD there. My database is in ~/Documents/PocketMoney Files but I can't remember if that is the default location or if I chose that location. Do a Spotlight search on you MBP for ".pocketmoney". As for the license, again I can't remember if it is a single user license or a site license; Hardy will have to answer that question.
Dennis
romad

Postby HardyMacia » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:58 pm

You can share the license.

You can copy the files back and forth, but setting up file sharing so she just access PocketMoney db that is on your computer would be better so you don't risk updating both files at same time and getting your data out of sync.

Keeping desktops in sync is on the to do list for PMD once we get the PocketMoney.com cloud syncing working.
Hardy Macia
Catamount Software •  support@catamount.com
Follow me on Twitter: @HardyMacia or @CatamountSW
HardyMacia
Site Admin

Postby romad » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:10 pm

I forgot about using File Sharing. Guess that comes from only having one computer user in the house!
Dennis
romad

Postby ruirego » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:27 pm

i have iPhone, iPad and PMD,

normally i sync the iPhone with PMD (server), but in home I want to sync iPhone with iPad (I have bought the server app) but I have different transactions in both devices, so I don't want to do restore from server because the client is going to lose their transactions. can I sync without the restore from server option?

Rui Rego
Thanks,
ruirego

produts:
PocketMoney for Desktop
PocketMoney for iOS
ruirego

Postby romad » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:17 pm

ruirego wrote:i have iPhone, iPad and PMD,

normally i sync the iPhone with PMD (server), but in home I want to sync iPhone with iPad (I have bought the server app) but I have different transactions in both devices, so I don't want to do restore from server because the client is going to lose their transactions. can I sync without the restore from server option?

Rui Rego

First which is your PRIMARY device, computer w/PMD, iPhone, or iPad? The standard is that PMD will be the primary (since it has the sync server built-in) and that your iDevices will just be clients. So, just sync the iPad to PMD. However, if you want either of the iDevices to be your primary and you make all of your entries on it, buy the Sync Server for that iDevice ONLY. So, in this case if your iPhone is the primary and you just want the data on your iPad, then buy the sync server for the iPhone and then sync your iPad as the client (or vice versa if the iPad will be primary). Then for backup just sync your primary iDevice to PMD (of course in this case the iDevice will be acting as client to the PMD server). As for "Restoring from Server" you should always restore from your server iDevice or from PMD, WHICHEVER has the most RECENT, ACCURATE data. However, the "Restoring from Server" option is the last ditch option to replace a corrupted database on an iDevice. Oh, there is one REALLY last ditch option and that is replacing the PocketMoneyDB.sql file via iTunes File Sharing (or email). But to do this you need to backup that file periodically via the same routes, say at least weekly.
Dennis
romad

Postby ruirego » Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:40 am

My primary device is PMD. But normally the computer is at work, where I sync my PMD with iPhone. Meanwhile, at home my wife introduce some new expenses in the iPad, and when I arrive home I have to sync the iPad with iPhone (I have the bought server), but I don´t want to restore from server (iPhone), because if I do that, the expenses added in the IPAd will be lost.
the next day I'll sync the iPhone with PMD. And sometimes, I'll bring the computer home and sync iPad with PMD.

Resuming:
So at home my iPhone is the server, and at work it's the client. My iPad as to server, sometimes the iPhone, and other the PMD
any problem here? will I lose data?

Rui Rego
Thanks,
ruirego

produts:
PocketMoney for Desktop
PocketMoney for iOS
ruirego

Next

Return to PocketMoney (OS X, Linux, Windows)