PocketMoney Status and Info

Desktop connectivity for PocketMoney and MPG

Re: PocketMoney Status Status and Info

Postby leandro.malandrin » Mon May 16, 2016 5:41 pm

NickA wrote:In addition, a web based version will be available, and the desktop version will be all new as well. All versions will have cloud sync ability (and with web/desktop). Local sync with PocketMoney Desktop will still be available for those who do not want to use the cloud.

The paid update, which is being submitted in the next few days, will be called PocketMoney 2. Apple does not allow a true paid update model, so this is the way developers work around it.

It will include:
- Touch ID
- Dropbox export/backup
- Refreshed charts in the reporting function
- Summary chart in app purchase included
- Updated memo area
- Bug fixes

Amazing feature set right there, Nick! Currently I send myself daily CSV exports of my PM data by e-mail, only to save them right after in Dropbox. After that I open them as a datasource in Excel where I built an complex spreadsheet to analyse it and create reports.

So you can see how much time you save people like me by adding a Dropbox export function. It would be just perfect if we could just upload the file to a specific folder with a specific name and format with a touch of a button :)

I am all for the paid upgrades for major releases! Like many here, I have tried all other apps in the App Store and usually they lack some basic functionality PM has had for ages...

Here are some ideas for future features:

- We could use some better reporting system (for example on the web version you are planning). More specifically, it would be interesting to have some BI basic functionality, making us able to select fields, frequency, categories, subcategories, payees and so on and create different types of reports. Personally I saw some apps that were in the right track on this subject, but they still make an wrong assumption that everyone register information following the same rules. If you want I can elaborate on this.

- This is one for the long long long term: have you ever though about having some kind of integration between PM and Apple Pay? Are there any APIs from Apple that let (user-approved) apps (securely) receive and register the value of a transaction made by Apple Pay, for example? Imagine how wonderfull would that be - get your GPS, time and NFC information and you could easily predict how to fill every field from the transaction register. The user could verify it in a glance and approve it right after he made the payment with his smartphone.

Regards,
Leandro Malandrin
leandro.malandrin

Postby azraeil » Tue May 17, 2016 2:05 am

NickA wrote:
azraeil wrote:I just bought PMD (3 days ago) to install it on my Surface Pro 4. Does this mean that when the new PMD comes out, I will have to pay for the upgrade as well?

I have absolutely no issue in paying for the iOS update.

Good question, and thanks for asking. By the way, how do you like the Surface Pro 4? I've wanted one since the SP 3 came out, but I just can't pull the trigger some some reason.

I have more flexibility with the desktop app because I can control pricing, discounts and stuff like that. The existing desktop version will stay the way it is, and work with the existing PocketMoney. Once the current version of PocketMoney is retired, the current desktop version will be as well. Understanding the price of the desktop version is currently 3x the amount of the iOS version, I will take care of recent desktop purchasers one way or another if they choose to upgrade.

I do like the SP4 but I also find that I don't use it that much as I spend most of the time using the iPhone. It's definitely a laptop replacement though and whenever I do use it, it's a joy.

The options for recent purchasers is welcomed. I bought it to basically use the SP4 more and I grabbed it because you gave a 5 dollar discount. It was 19.95 before I think.

I am also not quite clear about the PM Pro vs PM2, the current PM will be changed to PM Pro and then later to PM2?
azraeil

Postby NickA » Tue May 17, 2016 12:31 pm

leandro.malandrin wrote:- We could use some better reporting system (for example on the web version you are planning).

- This is one for the long long long term: have you ever though about having some kind of integration between PM and Apple Pay?

Reporting needs an overhaul, and when the Pro version is released I want reports to be a stand out feature. What good is entering data if you can't efficiently analyze it.

There's no way to access anything with Apple Pay related to purchases. Apple allows developers to offer Apple Pay with their apps, but that's it.
NickA

Postby NickA » Tue May 17, 2016 12:35 pm

kaiwei wrote:Why not just call the paid upgrade PM Pro from the start (vs. PM2, despite using the same old codebase) as it'll eventually be updated to the new codebase to reduce user confusion?

Unless the intention is to charge for PM2 to PM Pro as well (to switch to the new codebase). Not that I'm adverse to that totally, just seeking clarification.

The reason to use PM 2 now is to enable a paid upgrade path, and the current PM and PM2 will be retired sometime after PM Pro is released. PM Pro will be a reinvention of the current PocketMoney, and deserves it's own unique name.
NickA

Postby elmede » Tue May 17, 2016 12:40 pm

NickA wrote:
leandro.malandrin wrote:- We could use some better reporting system (for example on the web version you are planning).

- This is one for the long long long term: have you ever though about having some kind of integration between PM and Apple Pay?

Reporting needs an overhaul, and when the Pro version is released I want reports to be a stand out feature. What good is entering data if you can't efficiently analyze it.

There's no way to access anything with Apple Pay related to purchases. Apple allows developers to offer Apple Pay with their apps, but that's it.

Hi Nick

Regarding the reporting overhaul, please don't eliminate the current reporting tool.. The drill down feature is just too useful and not found in any other app..

I'll tell you the scenario I use it in:
I have an account for loans
I activate the use of payee for transfers
I can find out how much money I owe someone by filtering by payee inside this lendings account.

While it may seem obvious, basically no other app allows setting a payee and much less report on transfers (they are mostly considered out of transfers since there's no actual credit or debit on the general balance)

What I fear is that with the overhaul, the reporting loses some features which right now make pocket money such a powerful tool..

Mede
elmede

Postby romad » Tue May 17, 2016 10:40 pm

NickA wrote:I have more flexibility with the desktop app because I can control pricing, discounts and stuff like that. The existing desktop version will stay the way it is, and work with the existing PocketMoney. Once the current version of PocketMoney is retired, the current desktop version will be as well. Understanding the price of the desktop version is currently 3x the amount of the iOS version, I will take care of recent desktop purchasers one way or another if they choose to upgrade.

Nick, by "retired" you mean they will not be sold or updated, correct? The reason I ask, is because I use PMD as my primary finance application with PMiOS allowing me to have current data at hand and enter transactions when I'm on vacation. Thus I will have to continue to use both PMiOS2 and PMD until both PMProiOS (or should that be PMiOS Pro? PMPiOS?) and PMD2 have reached parity with their current iterations. It took Hardy a few months and several PMD updates before it was a viable tool; IIRC, PocketMoney Sync was what turned PMD from a Quicken wanna-be into a Quicken replacement for me. Thus I'll have to run both desktop applications and both iOS applications in parallel for several months before I decide if it is safe to stop using the older versions.
Dennis
User of Jefferson Bible, MPG, PMD, & PMiOS. Oh, and WeatherStick.

Mac OS El Capitán, iOS 10.x.x, watchOS 3.x.x
romad

Re: PocketMoney Status and Info

Postby NickA » Tue May 17, 2016 11:31 pm

The current PM will be available for probably 3 months after PM2 is released. This should give users enough time to update if they want to. PM2 and PMD will be around for several months after the new family of PM products are released. It won't get updates though. There will be plenty of notice too when PM2 and PMD will be retired; it won't just disappear someday.
NickA

Postby NickA » Tue May 17, 2016 11:33 pm

Luis0321 wrote:PM 2 will show up as a new app and not an update correct? I just want to know when it's live. Also, I hope the UI stays the same.

You guys ask great questions!

Yes, PM2 will show up as a new app. The current PM app will receive an update at the same time PM2 goes live, and you'll be prompted to update if desired.

By the way, the current PM will be taken off the store for about a week before coming back along side PM2.
NickA

Postby daveeboyuk » Thu May 19, 2016 10:07 am

I'd like to add my support for the approach and paid update. Really fantastic to get this app back and supported again.

NickA wrote:Reporting needs an overhaul, and when the Pro version is released I want reports to be a stand out feature. What good is entering data if you can't efficiently analyze it.

Totally agree with this. I capture a lot of data which has proved immensely useful to look back on but I use filters at the moment but they are restrictive. If we can get more flexible reporting that would be worth paying for.

In the release of PM2 you are including some bug fixes. Can you confirm what these are? I have a couple of issues but don't want to raise them if they have already been fixed

Regards David
daveeboyuk

Postby romad » Thu May 19, 2016 11:13 am

NickA wrote:[

Well it does allow this simple analysis: "Yep, I'm broke" or "No, I'm not broke (yet)" :mrgreen:
Dennis
User of Jefferson Bible, MPG, PMD, & PMiOS. Oh, and WeatherStick.

Mac OS El Capitán, iOS 10.x.x, watchOS 3.x.x
romad

Postby kzorith » Thu May 19, 2016 5:07 pm

NickA wrote:PocketMoney Basic and PocketMoney Business. PocketMoney Basic is a basic checking/savings account tracking app. Think of the existing PocketMoney without some of the features, and costing less. There are many PocketMoney users using the app for business, and PocketMoney Business will appeal to this crowd, with features such as invoicing, expense tracking, inventory, integration with QuickBooks, enhanced reporting, etc.

As time permits, and likely in a separate forum post, would you be able to outline what the differences between PocketMoney Basic and PocketMoney Business will be in more of a point form? You've said what some of the features of PocketMoney Business are planned but the statement about Basic being like "the existing PocketMoney without some of the features" as a little vague.

It's hard to know which one will suit my needs if I don't know what features will or won't be there in the new version.

Thanks in advance,
Conrad
kzorith

Postby NickA » Sun May 22, 2016 1:05 pm

daveeboyuk wrote: In the release of PM2 you are including some bug fixes. Can you confirm what these are? I have a couple of issues but don't want to raise them if they have already been fixed

- Rollup function on iPad
- Crash when entering/edit splits in certain situations
- Table width too wide on Accounts screen

There may be a fe more but I don't have the list in front of me. If you have more, please send them in an email (support@catamount.com), or create a topic in the PocketMoney - iOs section.
NickA

Postby NickA » Sun May 22, 2016 1:07 pm

romad wrote:
NickA wrote:[

Well it does allow this simple analysis: "Yep, I'm broke" or "No, I'm not broke (yet)" :mrgreen:

Haha I like that! How easy it would be to update the reporting function if that's all i had to do. But when it comes down to it, that mostly what I want to know.
NickA

Postby NickA » Sun May 22, 2016 1:09 pm

kzorith wrote:As time permits, and likely in a separate forum post, would you be able to outline what the differences between PocketMoney Basic and PocketMoney Business will be in more of a point form? You've said what some of the features of PocketMoney Business are planned but the statement about Basic being like "the existing PocketMoney without some of the features" as a little vague.

It's hard to know which one will suit my needs if I don't know what features will or won't be there in the new version.

Thanks in advance,
Conrad

Hey Conrad - What I will end up doing is creating a nice infographic of the differences between the versions. So at a quick glance you'll see a list of features, and what feature will be in a specific version. Some features will of course overlap.
NickA

Postby NickA » Mon May 23, 2016 12:25 am

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Look for an update coming soon...
NickA

Previous

Return to SyncDocs