iCloud Backup

managing your money on the iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch

iCloud Backup

Postby gooders » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:11 pm

Hi,

I've been using PocketMoney on my iPad for sometime now and think it's a great app. I now also have an iPhone and wish to share my data with the two devices and thought that iCloud would be ideal. I managed to download all my information to my iPhone through a restore from iCloud. I have now added new data to the iPhone which I want to add to my iPad, so I did a backup within the app on the iphone to iCloud. The problem I am now having is with the iPad. I am unable to turn on the iCloud Weekly Backup facility and when I attempt to do a restore from iCloud I receive the message "iCloud service is currently unavailable please check your Internet service.....". I don't know what the problem is. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalled from icloud but still having the same problem I know it's not the Internet. If anybody can help I would be most grateful.

Many thanks.
gooders

Re: iCloud Backup

Postby romad » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:22 pm

iCloud is for BACKING UP your data NOT for synching it between devices.

If you want to sync so that you have the same data on both iDevices, either do it via the PocketMoney Sync Server in-app add-on, or through PocketMoney Desktop's built-in sync server.
Dennis
User of Jefferson Bible, MPG, PMD, & PMiOS. Oh, and WeatherStick.
romad

Postby gooders » Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:04 am

Thanks for your response. I tried the in-app syncing facility which I had previously purchased and must have forgotten about and it worked a treat so thank you for that. However, regardless of the iPhone syncing issue which is no longer, I am unable to turn on the iCloud facility within the Pocket Money app. on my iPad (which is version 1 if that makes a difference) therefore, I am unable to backup or restore from my iPad to iCloud is this correct?
gooders

Postby romad » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:26 am

I don't use the iCloud Backup option (I don't want my financial info floating around in cyberspace) so I can't help with that. Hopefully someone else with PMiOS/iCloud experience will chime in here.
Dennis
User of Jefferson Bible, MPG, PMD, & PMiOS. Oh, and WeatherStick.
romad

Postby RustySmith » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:11 pm

I'm having a similar issue - I started with PocketMoney on iPhone 4, then installed on iPad 3, then got a new iPhone 5 to replace iPhone 4. The iPad installation of PM will allow setting the weekly iCloud backup, but the iPhone will not. Since I use the the iPhone for primary data entry, I then sync to the iPad with iPhone as server, and let the iPad do the weekly iCloud backup. I also do a periodic manual Wi-Fi Transfer to Desktop via web browser when I'm reconciling with online accounts and happen to be at a desktop computer.

As for the iCloud backup not enabling in PM on the iPhone, I've verified that settings are identical in iCloud Settings, and in PM. Both devices are iOS 6.0.1, and PMiOS 4.0.6. There is GB's of free space for both devices in iCloud. The only difference I can find is that down in the Backup Options list of of apps, the size for the PM backup is listed as 3.2 MB for the iPad, and 5.7 MB for the iPhone. Both devices show the Documents & Data backup that is placed out there by the iPad.

<shrugs> Oh well, I know my data is safely backed up, and while it's not the backup I set out to do, the availability of multiple backup options lets me make a plan that works.
RustySmith

Postby HardyMacia » Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:46 pm

The iCloud Backup/Restore will be fully fixed in the 4.1 release.

A iCloud backup from a iPad and iPhone will overwrite each other if you are using the same iTunes account, but you can backup from iPhone and restore to iPad for a quick and dirty way to use PM on multiple devices as long as you keep track of everything you are dong so you don't overwrite data accidentally when you restore. PocketMoney Sync is better solution (and works to Android and PM Desktop)
Hardy Macia
Catamount Software •  support@catamount.com
Follow me on Twitter: @HardyMacia or @CatamountSW
HardyMacia
Site Admin

Postby discoburg » Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:59 am

Was shocked to find a few transactions missing when i did a backup from iCloud when i got a iphone 5 to replace the iphone 4S. Hope there will be a fix to this bug.
discoburg

Postby RustySmith » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:29 am

An update on my situation that may be helpful to others. The problem I was experiencing had NOTHING to do with PocketMoney -- I'm not surprised, either!

My new phone is provided by my employer, and there was a policy setting that precluded backing up Documents & Data. With that policy set, the iCloud configuration item to enable or disable Documents & Data was not even visible in the list. My administrator explained that the company was concerned about company data being stored someplace outside the company's control. Of course, there are many other ways that could happen (like my work around of syncing PM data to non-company iPad first...), and last week he convinced management to allow this policy setting to be changed. So with the policy removed, I could enable Documents & Data to be backed up to iCloud from the phone, and now I can directly back up PM from the phone to iCloud as I originally wanted.

I will still continue to do multiple backups -- if the data is important enough, you go out of your way to take responsibility for its safe-keeping.... :D
RustySmith

Postby dbscpa » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:11 pm

romad wrote:I don't use the iCloud Backup option (I don't want my financial info floating around in cyberspace) so I can't help with that. Hopefully someone else with PMiOS/iCloud experience will chime in here.

Is the back up on the iCloud secure? Is the PM file encrypted? Is there a concern that the PM data can be breached even if the App uses a password?

I would like to back up from my iPad to the iCloud but the other User's post raised concerns.
dbscpa

Postby HardyMacia » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:44 am

The sqlite database used on iPhone/iPad isn't encrypted. You can setup your iphone to be encrypted (it's an option in iTunes for your device) and then it is all encrypted, but I don't know if the iCloud honors that setting or not. I'd hope it does, but I'm not sure.

The password for PM is just to keep casual users out of your data. Everything can be accessed whether encrypted or not -- you'll keep 99.9% of the thieves out of your data, but if the government wants in it then they'll be getting into it regardless (and they probably have all your credit card records anyway.)
Hardy Macia
Catamount Software •  support@catamount.com
Follow me on Twitter: @HardyMacia or @CatamountSW
HardyMacia
Site Admin

Postby dbscpa » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:56 am

Thank you, Hardy.
dbscpa

Return to PocketMoney for iOS